Useful tips for homeowners that will spruce up your curb appeal.
As the spring season emerges, it’s essential to shift our focus from the interior to the exterior of our homes when preparing to sell; unlike the winter months when buyers predominantly explore the interior, spring, and summer prompt potential buyers to pay attention to the outside of the property as well. With no snow covering the landscape, investing some effort into enhancing the curb appeal becomes crucial. Here are a few key aspects to consider when sprucing up your home’s exterior for the spring market.
1. Tending to the lawn. As we transition from winter to spring, one common issue that arises is the presence of dandelions. These stubborn weeds tend to multiply rapidly, making it necessary to address them early on. Ideally, yard treatment with fertilizer should begin in the fall, but if you haven’t done so, starting a program in spring is essential. Maintaining a lush and weed-free lawn not only improves the overall appearance but also creates a positive impression on potential buyers.
2. Regular maintenance. Whether you’re an absentee seller or living nearby, regular property maintenance is crucial. Ensuring that someone mows the lawn on a weekly basis conveys to buyers that the property is well-cared for. A neglected lawn filled with tall weeds can deter potential buyers, while a well-maintained lawn gives the impression that someone is actively looking after the property.
3. Adding fresh mulch. Incorporating fresh mulch around the house can significantly enhance its visual appeal. A thin line of mulch around flower beds or garden borders gives a refreshed and vibrant look to the overall landscape. Additionally, mulching requires minimal effort and can be a cost-effective way to spruce up your property.
“Spring and summer prompt potential buyers to pay attention to the outside of the property.”
4. Perennials and annuals. Adding a touch of color to your property through perennials and annuals can make a noticeable difference. Even a simple flower pot placed on a patio table or near the front door can add a welcoming touch. You don’t need an extravagant display; a few well-placed flowers can greatly improve the visual appeal of your home’s exterior.
5. Driveway maintenance. Don’t forget to pay attention to your driveway. A well-maintained driveway can significantly impact the overall look of your property. Consider sealing your driveway in the spring to give it a fresh and polished appearance. This relatively simple task can make your home stand out, especially when complemented by a maintained lawn and some basic landscaping elements.
6. Addressing the apron. The area where the garage floor meets the driveway, known as the apron, should not be overlooked. If you notice a substantial difference in height between the two surfaces, it may be time to have the apron replaced. This maintenance task, often costing under $2,000, can enhance the overall functionality and aesthetic appeal of your garage entrance.
These simple steps can go a long way in attracting buyers and ensuring your property stands out from the competition. If you have any questions or need further guidance, feel free to reach out to us by phone or email.